Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, April 03, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrain!!!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Here's the difference between public broadcasting and commercial news: the meteorologists on the network affiliates all started whining about the rain: flooding arroyos, cold weather, squishy mud, dirty cars......blah.

Hey, idiots! There's been a horrible drought! It's RAINING!! We picked up 2 inches in less than two days! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

I just went out and dumped sleet or baby hail or something out of the slumps in the tarps that cover my stuff in my little yard. It's cold out there; my breath makes steam. I also picked up nasty, water logged dog poop in a plastic grocery bag. yuck.

I'm wearing my hot weather work dress: thin, cotton seersucker, with open yoke, sleeveless and short. It's barely any clothing, at all. It's for really hot days.

But I'm wearing it today so my skin's exposed to the rare humidity. It feels WONDERFUL!! I'm not itching ANYWHERE!! Normally, my back, arms and legs are always itchy. So's my scalp. I'm turning into a lizard out here! But today, I can breathe, my skin feels silky and plump and I didn't wake up with mortar eye buggers!

The cats are all in; so's the dog.

Everybody helped me defrost the freezer. Good thing I did, too: it was almost pure frost. I thought it was almost full, but it's really almost empty. I have plenty of room for lotsa stuff!

Now, KUNM is full of exhultations about the rain. Morning weather reports were chirpily announced, punctuated with happy comments about rain and wet and moisture and gardening and..... Completely different than the commercial weather reports.

The Children's Hour is dedicating the whole broadcast to rain songs. Not grumpy songs; happy rain songs. It's a damn party!

Anybody who lives here and isn't happy it's raining needs to MOVE AWAY! NOW! Don't bake on my rain parade!

There's snow up north; the river's full and so are the creeks and arroyos. Just in time for spring sprouts!

We normally only get about three to five inches per year, so two inches in a day is totally groovy.

I actually have PUDDLES in my garden! The ground is saturated! That hardly EVER happens anymore! I feel guilty when I water: if there's standing water, I've dumped many gallons on the dry, desperate ground. My corn's always scraggly and my lettuce bolts before I can eat it and...well, this is a damn miracle! It's not even monsoon season!

It's totally glorious! I haven't felt this good since I left KY, where it's humid almost all the time. But freezing humid and boiling humid tore me up. THIS is a PARTY!!!!!

I don't know HOW I'll get to volunteer training tonight. Guess I'll break down and take the bus part way, and beg for a ride home.

There's a kid there who works with Food Not Bombs; I'll ask him for a ride tomorrow.

It's just too dang clammy for me to try to use tools today. I have to tighten stuff very seriously on the scooter, so vibrations don't shake things loose. I couldn't possibly get a strong enough grip with aching, cold joins. So, the scooter has to wait. Maybe tomorrow....

Mean time, the dishes are done and put away; I've started on the Clothes Sculptures; the freezer's defrosted and restocked. I'm working up the nerve to clean out the refrigerator. But it's a good thing it's raining: I can set refrigerator shelves and drawers out in the yard, to rinse in the rain.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain!Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain!Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain!Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain!
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

No comments: