Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, April 09, 2004

I have a butt cramp!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

From riding the scooter so much today.

First, I collected 6 duck eggs. I came home and fried two with tortillas.

Then, I rode to Stadium grocery, hoping they'd have cheaper Easter ham than Smith's.

Came home, unloaded groceries, grabbed Porky and went to Smith's, cuz their ham was the cheapest.

Came home and couldn't find my damn WALLET! I think I left it in the grocery cart, but I don't know...

Went BACK to Smith's, without Pork. No wallet.

Came home. Called: Bank, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, Food Stamps to replace and cancel all my cards and IDs.

Food Stamps said I should get there before 1pm today, as they closed early for Good Friday.

So, BACK over by Stadium, where the FS office is. Got new card. Stopped back by Stadium and realized I hadn't seen that cream cheese, hot dogs and vegetable oil were all on sale.

Came home. Cleaned and fried chicken legs and steaks. Ate some steak with an English muffin and 2 pork rinds.

I'm now officially collapsed. My legs are throbbing. I've ridden about 25 miles today and had to gas up twice! My tank only holds about a quart....

So, all my ID's either replaced or on the way.

I rarely keep cash in my wallet, so only lost about three dollars. The two biggest things were the extra key to the scooter padlock and my punch cards for Pueblo Cultural Center Smoke Shop: after I buy 10 cartons, I get one free! I had SIX DANG HOLES PUNCHED! shoot!

So, whatever smart ass swiped my wallet is a real jerk, since none of the other cards will do them any good.

Within 3 weeks, I should have all my IDs replaced. I'm sure Smith's would let me write a check w/out ID; so would the DOllar Store and Stadium. Maybe even the Smoke Shop, although I won't need cigarettes before my new ATM card comes.

Took me half an hour to call everybody and get replacements. Big deal.

I made a lot of people smile and laugh today, just chit chatting at various places.

I even made the achingly bored girls at Food Stamps crack up.

I like being around working class people: they respect me and they think I'm very interesting. They're always cheerful and welcoming, at the stores where I shop. Helpful, too. It's a real small town feeling when I go shopping. We swap recipes, life stories, gossip..

And I'm always making silly jokes. And they love my scooter and Porkchop. Whenever I go to a store without him, people ask, "where's Porkchop?" Good lord! It's like he's my husband! LOL

The cats and dog will be very happy: when I cook chicken legs, they get the drumsticks and I eat the thighs.

Porky's gonna have a stroke, when he sees the lamb bones! AND the ham bone!

So, the wallet thing was a bit inconvenient, but no biggie.

One good thing about being poor: you can't really rob me!

Who'd steal the wallet of a person on Food Stamps, for cripe's sakes? What a LOSER!

No comments: