Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

dead

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Of COURSE, Jim Hightower's commentaries had to come today...and of course, he had to send a correction!

aw, it ain't so bad: unknown news, daily chimp, planet ark, national native news, democracy now. That's about average. There's stuff on the March for Women's lives, too, but that'll wait a day or two.

But it's all posted in my blogs.

it's ten thirty. I normally go to sleep around midnight, but I'm turning in early tonight. I'm beat.

Besides, the earlier I sleep, the earlier I get up. I only sleep about five, six hours...until a Marathon Nap, which I'll probably do thurs or fri.

All this poverty, insecurity, etc has taught me good self discipline, resourcefulness and preparedness. I'm well equipped to handle the news department and anything else that station throws at me.

Katie and I had a lot of fun, editing her piece today. She was braggin' about me as she left the studio...to Marcos, I think...can't remember.

It's very satisfying work. It's important. It's fun as hell. It's helpful. It's creative. It's VERY challenging. It's NEVER boring.

I feel a great deal of affection for these people for whom I've felt a great deal of respect for years.

I'm not talking celebrity crap. I'm talking like-minded people who work very hard to put out quality broadcasts in the most beautiful diversity and range of materials. Many are volunteers. And even the paid staff gets peanuts, compared to dumps like CNN. Nope, this ain't about THOSE kinds of stars. This is about lodestars and polestars and stars in the eyes.

No extreme makeovers required, except internal ones, and voluntary, at that.

It's a very generous environment, a sanctuary for the mind. I don't mean it's coddling; you're expected to hold your own and take yourself seriously. I don't mean: therapy, family, church. The work does the healing. Just show up, ready to do your best, and the wounds stop hurting so badly.

It's a sanctuary from ignorance, superstition, arrogance, sadism.

Unlike other stations I've worked in, there's not a lot of ego crap, either. Everybody's a contributer. Everybody's valuable and important.

I call Marcos "buddy." I called Renee "girlfriend." And I said I thought Tristan was so cute, I could pinch his cheeks, 'til his neck blushed bright red. Rachel listens and grins at my good news. Paul is always a source of positive feed back and help. It's like that all over the station.

Katie today said, "OH! YOU're the one with that SCOOTER!!" She was excited and happy about it. She wasn't saying it like I'm a freak or suspicious. 'course, she DOES do the Children's Hour, so bright, shiny objects make sense to her...lol

It really is an honor to work with these people. It's quite a crew. I couldn't have picked a better bunch of coconuts, if I'd tried.

I suppose I'm still in my "honeymoon" stage with the station. But usually, by now, that's worn off and it's just another job. Either that, or some arrogant, ignorant butt head has pissed me off to the point where I explode and disappear. I don't think that's going to happen.

My worst fear there is deleting a file or taking the station off the air, both of which are easily remedied, once the panic of Oops subsides.

Besides, I've already TAKEN a station off the air: my very first, the very first time I ever broadcast. So, that's been done, lived through, and laughed about.

I'm starting to hope. I'm not very good at it anymore. I feel awkward about it.

But this feels substantial, beyond wishful thinking. This feels valid, natural, reasonable and logical.

In fact, for the first time in a VERY long time, I'm starting to feel like I have a home.

No comments: