Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, April 30, 2004

Giant Pot o' Pintos

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I have a gallon pickle jar, full of pintos. Now that I know I can access such foods easily through Food Not Bombs, I decided to cook the whole jar.

I added: red onions, a whole garlic, rock salt, habeneros, anise seed, seasoning salt, oregano and (I know this seems weird, but Middle Eastern foods have many of the same spices as Latin foods) a box of dried falafel mix. Oh! And two cans of crushed tomatoes.

I know Food Not Bombs is supposed to be vegetarian, but I also threw in the skin and fat from my ham.

I'm planning to make refries. We always have corn tortillas, so they can make "tacos" with it.

I expect to have about two gallons, total. Sure smells good!

I brought everything to a boil, then reduced it to a simmer. I'll just let them cook all day, stirring and adding water, occasionally.

No comments: