Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, April 04, 2004

FOOD!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I made chocolate granola pancakes! With some of that health food pudding mix in it. And strawberry syrup.

I made a HUGE casserole: noodles on the bottom, spaghetti squash, spinich all with egg poured over it. Topped by 2 gallons of tomato sauce that I thickened with instant mashed potatoes. It's WONDERFUL!

I brought home a quart of syrup and half a gallon of the casserole.

I also have half a gallon each of butternut squash soup, and lentils and millet. I'll probably mix those together.

I also brought home a loaf of potatoe bread, onion bagels, and four packages of Thomas' English muffins (which I dearly love and can never afford). I pre-split the muffins and froze them. They toast just fine, even frozen.

I also got a small bag of PURPLE popping corn. I'll try to grow some. And some dried fruits and nuts.

I got a head of romaine, six cucumbers, peppermint extract, smoothy mix.

Basically, all I need to buy is meat!

I have everything else!

Oh, and probably cheese and other dairy.

Everything's fresh and I can eat as much as I want! No rationing.

I'm in SOOOOOO much pain! Two hours of cooking, two of serving, two of cleaning up.

Hardly anybody was there today. The rain stopped just in time for lunch. We served about a dozen and most of them packed leftovers for later.

OH! I also got baked pears with molasses and apple pie spice! About a quart. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe, cuz it's Passover, I can find brisket cheap this week. Man, brisket would taste great with that soup and stuff....mmmm

I haven't eaten beef in months, and I'm starting to crave it. Pork, too. I've been living on chicken and turkey since Thanksgiving. and fish, of course, but I only eat about 2 oz of fish per day.

My feet are screaming! Burning, tingling like I'm standing on wire brushes, even lying down.

I have a package of carrot cake mix; I think I'll do something with that and the pears...mmmmmm

Right now, I'm too tired to cook LOL.

BUt I'll toast me a muffin with stawberry and butter and warm me up a bowl of that spaghetti casserole I made.

The cooks and homeless really like my cooking!

OH!! I made a HUGE pan of scrambled eggs! Part duck eggs, part that egg mix in a carton. We had three cartons, so that's why I had plenty for pancakes and the casserole, too.

They have a cast iron skillet at Project Share that's about two feet around! I mean, it's as big as a bicycle tire! Talk about HEAVY! But I made the guys pack the eggs IN the skillet, cuz iron cools so slowly, it kept the eggs warm 'til they were gone. ANd I mean, they were GONE! Must've been the equivilent of four dozen, with about a dozen people and five cooks, and they scraped that skillet down to the greasy spot! LOL all I added was a TINY bit of water, salt and pepper. They were good!

So were the chocolate pancakes. It was baking mix, some egg concentrate, vanilla extract, a bag of oat granola, two pkgs of that chocolate pudding mix and about a cup of apple flavored wheat cereal. I soaked the cereal and granola, to soften them, mixed up the pancake mix, and let it rest while I cooked the pasta and tomato sauce and baked some chocolate chip cookies.

I cooked the pancakes 2nd to last, and the eggs last, so they'd be hot and fresh when we got there.

It's a lot of fun, but we need more people to help.

When I first got there, it was just me and Robert for an hour; everybody forgot the time changed! LOL

I was scared we wouldn't get it all done, but it came out perfect.

No comments: