Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Eggs are boiled

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I've got over three dozen eggs boiled.

I put them in cold water, barely covering eggs. I float a pot lid on the water. This helps the water heat rapidly, without heating air i pot, but lets excess steam escape.

When water boils rapidly for one minute, I turn off heat, leave eggs covered and let them cool for at least 20 minutes.

This cooks the yolk without over cooking. The yolks are moist and tender, not dry with a green skim on them.

And cooling them thoroughly gives the egg time to shrink away from the shell, making them easier to peel.

I'm going to dye them "psychadelic" style.

A few drops of food coloring in coffee cups, add boiled 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. That's basic dye recipe.

But, to make em psychodelic...or "marblized," for you "straight" people, I float a tablespoon of cooking oil on top of each color.

Dip the egg in. The oil covers splotches of the egg, while other parts get dyed. So, you have a part-white, part-dyed egg.

For more than one color, wipe off egg with an old towel (that you don't mind staining with dye) and re-dip in another color.

I save my egg cartons, so I have plenty to dry and transport the eggs. I use egg cartons for seed starters, for greenhouse insulation, to pack fragile things for shipping, etc.

I'm happy to say I ought to have an Easter egg for everybody who comes for a free meal on Sunday.

I'll ask who's a parent, so they can take some to their kids, too.

Not everybody there is officially homeless; some are crashing with friends; some live in those awful residential hotels, etc.

They don't bring their kids to Civic Plaza, but that doesn't mean they don't have any.

This is supposed to be a celebration of resurrection, rebirth, redemption and renewal.

A little happiness is in order.

No comments: