Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, April 01, 2004

chilly out

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I was up at 6, peeling the cats off. Having a cup of that pinon espresso. Gawd, that's good stuff!

I'm actually craving gardening. It's all I can do to resist the urge to go out there and scratch in the dirt. I can't wait 'til this weekend, when I can start.

I see embrios forming in duck eggs I'm incubating.

I'm still in a horrible amount of pain.

The sink is full of dishes. But I don't want to waste my legs, standing there washing them.

So, I can't make breakfast.

I guess I'll get up in awhile, put on my clothes for the day and go to the station early for breakfast.

I'm taking Porkchop today. Someone ratted me out to the campus cops, and I haven't been taking him.

But I had him out front, in the shade of a sign, where anybody could see him.

Around the other side of the bldg, there's a raised patio. You can't see the ground below it, unless you walk right to the rail and lean over.

It's shady and secluded down there, and not visible from most of the street, either. There's grassy lawn. It's perfect for Porky. And I can drive my scooter up the gentle slope there.

So, I'll stash Porky back there.

Tomorrow's the last day of fundraising. After that, I have class at the station on Saturday and Food Not Bombs on Sunday.

I emailed the Miles Nelson for Congress people and promised to visit the office...close to my house...on Monday, to begin volunteering there.

I think I can volunteer there 2 days a week and at the station 2 days.

Tonight's a poetry reading at that awful rb winnings place. I'll TRY to go, if those nasty wait people will stay off my back. Dale has printed my sonnet, "Family Values," in their publication, "Central Avenue," this month. I'd like to go.

Rachel reminded me they have Open Mic nights at Blue Dragon on Wednesdays. Obviously, I didn't go last night. I was busy being dead in bed. But I'll start doing that soon. Maybe I'll just go and listen next week, to get the feel of the joint. I'm not one of those hippity hoppy slam types. So, I'm nervous about reading my stuff these days.

Tristan, Tom and ...um...the Head Cheese...I always forget his name, cuz he's always hiding in his office, as far from us as he can get....are pitching. They're getting punchy and slap happy. Makes listening to pledging a lot more fun. They're silly and giggly. It's an unusual state for three tall, skinny, white guys. So it's a real hoot.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to work at KUNM. The people are just charming. It's so gratifying, being around like minded people. They work hard, they care about important stuff, they're creative and adventurous. They don't find me a bit odd. Chattery, maybe, but not odd.

I introduced myself to Carol Boss yesterday. She does Women's Voices sometimes and does afternoon Free Form about once a week. She's a very good broadcaster: lots of guests in the studio, interesting interviews, ecclectic music, spoken word....she's really interesting.

She sounds like a teenager. But she's a tiny, wizened woman whose face pleats like a Japanese fan when she smiles, which is all the time. She liked my last commentary and is interested in working with me.

I want to provide material to Women's Focus.

I can't wait to finish the Volunteer training classes, so I can dig in and really start producing content.

Even if Voc. Rehab. doesn't "let" me participate with them, I think I'm going to be ok, just with the radio station.

People there move on, and the people "under" them move up into their positions. There will be a job for me at the station, if all goes well. And, so far, so good.

I'm going to start working at the cable access tv station, too, beginning a week from tomorrow. I'm going to try to arrange to take their classes without paying for them. The classes only cost $40 each, but that's still out of my price range. The station needs lots of help, so maybe I can work in exchange for classes. They've moved their facilities down by the Civic Plaza, so it's much easier for me to get there now.

Little by little, I'm getting there....

No comments: