Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

oof

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Well, I've: collected 4 eggs at the duck pond; bought a pack of smokes, 'til I can get to the Cultural Center tomorrow; pulled a BUNCH more of those thick, nasty weeds; cleaned out the flowerbed under my window; put up a horse fencing-and-tree-limb shade thing over the window; washed 3 loads of clothes; cooked breakfast and lunch.

Man, am I tired!

I decided to build an awning out of that horse fencing. It's about 10'x4'. I'm going to put my lawn table & chairs under the window, so the cats can jump in and out. I'm going to grow morning glory and gourd vines up and over it, for shade.

I found a big piece of folded-up chicken wire. I'm not sure how big it is. Eventually, I'd like to close in the area I just covered for the animals. Particularly, any ducks. That way, they could enter my yard through the greenhouse, but come out under the window for sun. And they'd be safe from others' dogs and cats.

I don't want anybody else walking through my flowerbed and peeking in my bedroom window anymore, either. dammit.

IF I can find some clear shower curtains, I COULD eventually close in that entire area as more greenhouse/coldframe area, too. It'll help keep the apt. warm in winter and cool in summer.

It was a helluva job. I pulled saplings out of the ground, some four feet tall!

And that damn grass that grows in the alley has root balls the size of my dang HEAD!

I'm doing a little every day. So far, I've pulled out about 20' of weeds, with as much left to do.

But the ground's soft, so that helps.

It's clouding up and threatening to rain again. It's very unusual for this time of year. And another storm system's on the way, for later this week.

I'm THRILLED! LOL.

I made black bean, millet, cheese tacos, flavored with some of that Progresso soup I found in the dumpster. The soup was just enough meat to season the tacos. I have 7 cans left! Great seasoning!

Osa, my carbohydrate cat, loves millet! I swear she's a gerbil! Weirdest cat I ever had! I gave hera corn tortilla, too. She BEGS for carbs. She'll stick her claws into me, if I don't give her some, when I'm cooking.

Very peculiar...

Well, my legs and arms are screaming and my fingers hurt from tools.

So, I'm going to quit typing for now.

I'm dreading wrestling that chicken wire flat...moan...

No comments: