Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

angst

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Good lord, is the middle class really as superficial and pathetic as portrayed on tv? Judging Amy is a simpering, whining therapy session for a self-obsessed and arrogant pseudointellectual who thinks she's too good for the real world.

So, I switched over to PBS: celebrity environmentalists. I listened to a B actress, extolling her virtues and values, and explaining how the whole planet would be much better off if we all think like she does. She's so noble, she won't let her gardener trim her pinon pine, even though she actually has to stoop, to get to her hot tub. Poor thing.

Mean time, in the real world, Indian men set their wives on fire; Chinese babies are murdered regularly for population control; African AIDS orphan girls end up pregnant and HIV+, trying to support themselves through prostitution, which pays better, if no rubber is used.

I mention the name of the women's homeless shelter in town to a feminist activist; she didn't know what I was talking about; she'd never heard of it!

The problem with the planet is phalocentric values. Yet US feminists seem to think the oppression and victimization of poor women is their own faults. If they were more spiritually evolved [read: had the priviledges of feeling smug, arrogant and supperior], they wouldn't suffer like they do.

I actually heard a woman on Women's Focus on KUNM say that women who flip burgers for a "living" are missing the point of life.

um....WHO'S missing the friggin POINT!?!?!

Sisterhood is a VISA card, apparantly.

I'm tired. I'm sad. I'm discouraged. I'm frantic.

I don't know how I can put together 3 more days' worth of stories, walking 3 miles per day to the studio. As tired as I am NOW, I don't think I could do it! Add more fatigue and pain, and I just don't know how I'll do it.

But I will. dammit.

No comments: