Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

conducting

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I'm watching Great Performances. Listening, really.

But, during the last movement, I became captivated by the conductor. His face is pure joy. His manner is so encouraging. He's telling the orchestra, "this is a transformative experience; we need to tell the audience that!"

It was a fire in his eyes, a pout of lip. He is a master at the language of silent, facial expression.

Now, the music has gone quiet, intense, minor and crecendos to passionate volume. He keeps eye contact, he coaxes and pulls the music from the orchestra.

It must be phisically exhausting, conducting as he does.

I don't know what music I'm listening to. It's a bit florid for my tastes, so probably Russian. Possibly Spanish, but I'm betting Russian. There's a LOT of music in every bar, for sure!

It sounds Victorian. I don't mean chronologically, 'tho I suppose that's possible. It sounds like Victorian interior decorating: too much of everything.

Yet, it holds up well. It's a little too much work for my ears. But t's not too sentimental or anything.

But it doesn't move me, like good Beethoven, Copeland, Mozart...

It's interesting craft.

But what's really interesting about the performance....besides the fact I just noticed the lead violin looks JUST like an old lover of mine!....is watching the conductor.

Without seeing his personification of the music, it wouldn't get to me, at all.

HE makes the music interesting to me, with his blinks and squints, puffing cheeks, furrowing brow, beautific smiles, nods.

It's truly fascinating.

A person with no music appreciation whatsoever could watch this guy and fall in love with this composition!

He's really something. He's just so glad to be there! LOL

Makes me glad to listen.

No comments: