Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

they're checking me out!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Good grief! What ever it is I'm doing, I'm going to keep doing it!

While waiting at bus stops today, I noticed quite a few people in passing cars were checking me out. Men, mostly, of course. But whatever....

I smiled the whole way to my errand and back.

I'm so HAPPY! I can earn a living now!

I'd be thinking about stuff that was going on at the moment, when, suddenly, I'd remember: I'm an indepedent radio producer!

Just hearing Tom, Tristan, Spencer...on the radio this morning cheered me up. They're such nice people! And they --ususally-- smile when they see me coming.

I was thinking about that, too. There's one guy who seems to just have IT, whatever that is. All I have to do is mention the guy's name, and people light up. I thought: I need to be more like that. Genuinely, of course; I can't pull off fake, lying crap to save my life!

But I want people's eyes to light up when they hear my name. I'm tired of knowing they often furrow their brows, either in confusion, frustration or aggrevation. LOL.

So today, I consciously meditated on how to appreciate the people around me better. Especially the problematic people who put me on guard.

Being on the bus in Albuquerque, one gets to experience some people who appear frightening, sad, messed up, etc. frequently.

I looked at people who did that to me, and thought about who they might be, what they might value, how they might suffer.

And I got past a lot of my prejudice about most of them.

They're just people, after all. Approaching them as potential threats keeps me small.

So, I'm working on accepting all sorts of people, without putting myself in danger.

It'll take lots of work, of course. I have good reason to be suspicious.

Still, it was an interesting morning, paying attention to those around me.

My gosh, I'm a radio producer!

No comments: