Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

panic attack!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

What if certain people are right: I'm just trash & will never amount to anything (last phrase: voice of my mother)?

What if I'm too clueless to understand how to operate in "the real world?"

What if my productions are not broadcast-worthy?

What if I can't get comfortable with mixing?

What if I can't sell a damn thing?

What if the people who've shown faith in me are disappointed?

What if my advisor wakes up and realizes I'm a loser, and withdraws support and equipment?

What if I really AM too weird to socialize?

What if I screw up, big time, again?

What if I'm too damaged to swim in the deep end?

What if some external factor, which I can't see coming (like sickness, eviction, legal problems, etc) suddenly disrupts everything and I have to let people down or miss deadlines?

That cold, dark place whispers to me: you're not going to make it; you're kidding yourself; you're too stupid; you're too ugly; you're too crazy.....

It's trying to seduce me back into my damn ghettoized, crippled isolation.

It's right here, with me. I can smell it. Literally: my body smells different since this started.

It hates me. It wants me to fail. It rejoices in my setbacks. It encourages me to give up and, if I won't, tempts me to screw up.

It's Mom. I know it is! It's sick and sadistic, cruel and jealous. It doesn't want to share me with the Light, with Love, with Community.

I have to fight. I don't know how, but I've got to get through this!

It'll kill me, if I let it.

That computer and mic, sitting in my living room, that means Life.

I'm afraid to go near it tonight; I'm afraid of damaging it. Honest to goodness, I am.

I feel dirty and ugly, with this self loathing.

I'm taking baby steps: catching up on chores & emails. I'm moving very slowly and deliberately, so I won't bump into anything--especialy around the table with The Computer on it.

It's sickening, this presence in me.

I have to be kind to myself. Not self endulgent, trying to cover up with some addictive type behavior.

I have to be gentle with myself. I have to forgive myself for being human and traumatized and vulnerable and insecure.

I'm not sure I really know how to do this.

I need to rescue myself from that Monster Voice my mother taught me.

I'm really scared!

I think I'll take a shower and have a good cry.

Yeah, crying seems to be helping. There's grief in it: old grief of a small girl, terrified, alone and facing a shrieking, punching demon who is her mother.

That poor kid! I need to go to her, comfort her, protect her from that sick bitch.

I need to "kill" my mother.

I don't know how, but I have to do this!

I must put that sickness behind me!

That child I was, this woman I am, we deserve better.

No comments: