Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, June 13, 2004

It's gonna hurt for awhile

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I've been thinking. I know, watch out, right?

I don't have much strenght, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't exercise. I'm back to my ropes & pop bottle weights, working my legs, back, belly and arms. Just a little per day. Especially, stretching. My muscles are damn near atrophied! I need to stretch!

I've got to go back to that friggin' clinic, too. And I've got to figure out about my teeth. I can't put it off any longer. I've developed a whistle, when I talk. That ain't ok on radio.

I've tapered off cigarettes, some, since I'm not at the station so much.

I was getting SICK at that station! Smoking too much, not enough GOOD exercise, mental pressure, sacrificing diet, etc.

By this time next year, I want:

To be a nonsmoker,

to have lost at least thirty pounds,

to be much more physically strong and agile,

to have my own equipment/studio,

and MAYBE even have a better place to live.

There's this woman I barely know. She's really classy. And people respond to her, like she's a balm. She's not uppity. In fact, I think she might be a little shy. She's quiet, thoughtful.

I don't want to be her. PLEASE don't misunderstand!! I also don't envy her!

I appreciate her. I get her. Everything about her appearance, demeaner and behavior reflects something clear about her core values.

Now, I know nothing about this woman. For all I know, she has a silver spoon and crap: doesn't do her own hair, nails, etc.

But I sense something else. I can't really verbalize it. But she has "packaged" herself practically. Very simple, very elegant.

Things I know about this woman: she doesn't smoke. She's physically fit. She works hard. She meditates.

I've wasted too much time, energy and health on distractions. Now, I realize: a lot of middle class people waste a LOT more than I do! So do quite a few poor people, for that matter.

But what has a cigarette ever done for me? Yet I'll risk a mugging, scraping up change to go buy them, on foot, in the middle of the night? That's ridiculous!

Same with sugar. I drank 2 2-litre bottles of soda this weekend. Now, I'm back on my reduced sugar iced tea and feel better.

If I want to do better, I've got to DO better, y'know what I mean?

I enjoyed my brief vacations with alcohol this week. I didn't get nasty sick from drinking too much. It's been a LONG time since I drank.

But I know for a fact I won't be wasting money on alcohol in the near future. What's the point?

Once the scooter's fixed, I'll have more options for awhile.

My legs feel GOOD from the exercising and stretching! they're hot; they tingle. But the pain's reduced--almost gone. They just needed more oxygen in the muscles, I think. They'll hurt tomorrow, I'll bet! LOL

So, I'm devoting myself to making myself over.

I don't mean superficial bull crap.

I mean, I'm going to need to be strong, to do radio. I'm going to need to be healthy. I'm going to need a body I can count on to get jobs done.

And they say active bodies keep minds active in old age, too.

Now, I hear Porkchop barking, and I heard a thump outside...so I'm outtie.

No comments: