Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Lemon Curd!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I must be Martha Stewart's evil twin; or she's mine. My grrl made lemon curd on her show this morning! oooooo! I can eat me some lemon curd.

She messed it up, though. She served it with cherries, cake and whipped cream. Too many other flavors, for me. Lemon curd is a delicate, rich taste of lemons and eggs. It's subtle. I think it's wasted, surrounded by stronger flavors.

She does so much stuff I like to do. That's why I call myself Martha Stewart of the 'hood.

Actually, it's more like: she's Rogi Riverstone of Westport.

I had a romantic dream about Martha once. We were on her boat, off the shores of Maine. We were eating something sumptuous; I don't remember what. We were having a party, with a few other Lesbian couples.

We sat at the stern of the boat, salt air in our hair, talking earnestly. She was worried, nervous and distracted about the business.

I let her fret and fume for awhile, to get it out of her system. Then, I reeled her in.

I made it very clear that life's too short for fussing over insignificant details. I told her se can't control everybody else, or run their lives so they'll do what she wants all the time.

I took her hand. I coaxed her to look me in the eyes and drop all that distracting fussing.

I basically said, "if you're going to be with me, REALLY be with me, you're going to have to really BE with me, when we're together."

I told her I can be her refuge, her sanctuary, from all that stress.

I told her I won't play second fiddle to a corporation.

I told her that, since our time together was scarce enough already, I was not willing to share that space with business.

It was one of those break-through moments in a relationship. She heard me. She committed to it.

Both of us knew it would be a struggle for her: being truly present with me, when she takes her business so seriously.

But the commitment was enough for me, right then.

We cuddled and enjoyed our friends' glee at being on open water.

I know characters and events in dreams are representations of the Self.

I'm not SURE what Martha represented about me, in that dream.

But I know the authentic "me" was getting tired of playing second fiddle to piddly distractions!

Since that dream, whenever I start to get snippy and fussy about something of genuinely little consequence, I remember that dream.

I try to guage whether the issue at hand is really important enough to devote time and energy to it.

Usually, it's just some distraction from what's really important to me.

I have a lot of respect for Martha Stewart. There's a LOT about what she has done that I wouldn't mind doing, myself. It's been gratifying for me to have her on my TV, talking about stuff I enjoy.

I like smart women. I like strong women.

Wish I had me some duck eggs; I'd make me some lemon curd! Silky, moist, sweet and acid: just like a woman!

No comments: