Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

well, it's morning

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I should clarify something. Whatever's physically amiss with me is not, originally, muscular. My muscle mass has deteriorated, in my efforts to prevent additional pain. I've lost strength and flexibility, as a result. That's why the ballet exercises hurt so badly.

What's wrong SEEMS to involve: nerves, joints and connective tissues. It's not arthritic; there's no swelling. But the pain is located where bones meet, and radiates out from there (which is why I suspect connective tissues).

The muscles are just a biproduct of fearing movement.

I need to clear space in my apartment for sound. A blog reader thinks she has a turntable I can use. WHEW! I need music!

So, I'll have to move a large, wooden shelf on which I've placed my witch and cat collection. There's just not enough room in here. I'll put it out in the yard, somehow. Meantime, I'll just pack everything in weatherproof containers.

If I'm going to have a studio in here, I've got to rearrange things better.

I think I should take my WebTV back into the living room, too. That way, I can surf the 'net and answer emails, while using the puter off line for work.

So, I have work to do....again. No biggie.

I listen to NPR and KNOW I can do this!

I'm listening to a piece on Emmit Till right now. Where else could a person hear something like this?

Oh, yeah: NPR is elitist. And their coverage of poor people is more like we're museum pieces, from a primitive past, than a present, current, growing phenomenon in this country.

Still, it seems to me that, even if motivated only by white guilt, NPR has potential to allow for some of our voices.

I need to pay more attention to PRI, too. I listen to KUNM too much; they don't broadcast as much PRI as KANW does here.

Remember: Prairie Home Companion was refused by NPR as "offensive to the middle class," and finally found a home on PRI. Garrison Kieler? OFFENSIVE? oh, please....

So, if NPR can turn THAT down, just imagine the barricades they've got in place for poor folk!

Well, I'm listening to Mrs. Till, describing what those crackers did to the face of her son.

When these stories are buried, it makes it easier for the bastards to do crap like that again.

Bless Mrs. Till's heart, for insisting on an open casket, and publication of photos!~

Bless her poor, abused, heart!

No comments: