Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, June 19, 2004

This is what happened

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ok, if people are going to send private emails to me, full of questions about what happened this week, I guess I'd better answer.

Here's what I told a reader:
=========
I'm earning and saving money to buy a computer-compatible recording device, called a MiniDisc. With it, I can record audio, for radio shows and stories.

A friend is loaning me a microphone AND a computer, with which I can edit the audio into completed pieces.

I will sell these pieces to radio shows, like National Native News and Free Speech Radio Network, who have already paid me for a few pieces.

Here's my radio blog: http://rriverstoneradio.blogspot.com/

I'll basically have a miniature radio studio in my own home, except I won't be able to broadcast. But I can prepare whole shows and send them, by internet, to my clients.

It's basically a recording studio, in my living room!

So, that's Independent Production: I don't need a radio station, in order to produce the pieces. I can do it independent of a station. Then, I can sell or give them to networks of stations, or to individual stations.

The only way, up until now, that I could produce was to use equipment at a station. In exchange for use of their equipment, I produced pieces for them, too.

Basically, I made one story on a subject for my clients, and another for the station. So, basically, I was doing everything twice, since the station wanted something a little different than what the client wanted.

I will still produce material for the station, but in other departments besides news. And I will still, occasionally, use their equipment to do it.

But I won't have to depend on the approval of one person, in order to earn a living as a reporter, a documentary maker, a radio theater producer, etc.

Up until this week, my ability to earn money depended on whether or not the news director approved of my work. If my work didn't air on the station, I couldn't sell it elsewhere.

The Volunteer Coordinator has told me, at the request of the News Director, that I am no longer welcomed in the news room, may no longer use their equipment, and will not be approved for broadcast of my stories and commentaries on news broadcasts.

I said some very unprofessional, hurtful, angry things about the news director in my blog. The news director read these and now refuses any further contact with me.

The news director doesn't know I'm trying to make ammends, that I've edited the posts and apologized for them. I didn't apologize to placate anybody. I apologized to my blog readers and all concerned for publishing in-house station business, for resorting to personal attacks, using individuals' names, and for violating my OWN ethics.

I was desperate, in too much pain, frantic, terrified, demoralized and miserable.

But that was no excuse for my conduct.

However, those who support my efforts to create a career in radio are still supportive, even though I've made a stupid mistake.

It's very healing, knowing that several very bright, dedicated professionals can find it in their hearts and busy schedules to support me, in spite of everything.

If all goes well, I can begin producing radio shows and news stories from my home by the beginning of July!

See?

No comments: