Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

gang rape

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ma,

I trusted you.

I told you I needed to prepare myself emotionally.

I wasn't ready for that!

Three, paid staff, on whose opinion my career depends, against one disadvantaged volunteer.

And then, to have you sit there and talk about how emotional I am?

And you KNEW!

It was completely disrespectful of me as a person, as a volunteer.

I won't forget this. I can't trust you again.

It was abusive.

You could have honored my request to wait until I had my agenda in order. It wouldn't have hurt anybody.

By ignoring my needs, you hurt me. And it was gratuitious; it wasn't necessary. And it fostered the atmosphere of upset, distrust and suspicion I've been working so hard to dispell.

I have a memory disorder. I can't think under stress. I was deliberately placed at a disadvantage today. And then told how inadequate I was.

I needed time to prepare, and you didn't honor that.

Congratulations. I hope you got whatever it was you needed, because it came profoundly at my expense.

I won't be back until my scooter runs. And I hope to be gone before regular office hours.

You really blew it with me today, Ma.

I won't always be poor, vulnerable, powerless and dependent.

But I'll always remember how you dishonored me when I was.

Rogi

No comments: