Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, June 11, 2004

It's The Great Confligator Day

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

So NPR is National Promote Republicanism today.

TV's going to be intolerable, too, I'll bet.

I hear person on the street interviews with people getting all emotional, calling Reagan our "greatest" president: most of them wern't alive when he was killing Salvadorans!

So, this GOP media blitz is working.

With all that's gone on in the current admin., I wouldn't put it past them to have snuffed the old duffer in an election year to exploit the hype opportunity.

That's a fact.

When NPR was describing how Reagan's FOUR HUNDRED POUND, mahogany casket was being brought into the rotunda, they used a word I should have looked up. I think it was cataphault. Never heard it before. It means the platform on which they rested the coffin.

I thought they'd said "catapult." I had a clear image of Reagan, flying through the capital dome, arching (with a whistling sound, of course) over Washington, D.C., splatting into the Washington Monument and sliding down it, spread eagled, like a cartoon cat.

Now, THAT would be a Reagan funeral I'd like to see!

Bill Richardson made this a state holiday. As this is a Democrat majority state, I can only imagine the dancing in the streets Richardson might have been fantasizing. But he called Reagan a personable cowboy, or some such.

Wanna know a secret? Reagan was never a cowboy; he played one in some movies.

Ditto his "role" as prez. Even the Republicans refer to him, on the stage, playing a part, in his role, acting.

I guess it's ok to admit that now. But, when Reagan was in office, everybody pretended he really WAS the prez.

And I don't think, "ketsup is a vegetable" and "you've seen one tree, you've seen 'em all" are comic wit. I don't think he was funny.

I remember when he was governor, and closed all the state mental hospitals. Tens of thousands of low-functioning, mentally ill people were tossed out into the streets, with no help.

I remember when he called the raping, terrorizing, electrocuting thugs in Central America "freedom fighters," and compared them to "our founding fathers."

I remember Iran/Contra. I remember the cuts to Food Stamps.

I remember when Hassenfus, or whatever his name was, got shot down. He was a CIA operative, running cocaine.

Yep, I remember the old Teflon president. Nothing stuck to him.

All his old cabinet is propping up our latest puppet.

The one, good thing in all of this is Nancy's advocacy of stem cell research. It's the ONLY good thing.

Does anybody remember how, in the midsts of what they're now calling, "the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression," Nancy pissed away millions, redecorating the White House?

Anybody remember the Reagans consulter astrologers???

Anybody remember Star Wars?

... a four hundred pound coffin, made from endangered wood.

Perfect.

Well, I always called him Howdy Doodie, anyway. Lots of wood for a dummy, though.

Wonder how much this is costing the American taxpayer? Airforce One ain't cheap, draggin his carcass across country, twice.

Aw, who cares? We can just shut down a few, more shelters for at-risk teens to pay for it! Those kids'll all be in privately run prisons, or in the military, in a few years, anyway. Either that, or they'll work at wal mart.

I don't know what other countries think of all this hype, but I'm ashamed.

No comments: