Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, June 19, 2004

up late

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

It's six am. And I could have slept longer, if someone hadn't been whistling to their companion, scaring every dog in the alley!

I listen to dog talk. I ALWAYS know when strangers are coming!

Well, at night, anyway. I don't pay as much attention during the day; more people have legit reasons to be in the alley then.

I was surprised, for example, to walk outside during the evening news and find three cases of food in my yard!

Porky'd been asleep at my feet. Apparantly, he'd heard nothing.

Or maybe I was in the shower? Anyway, fortunately, Porky slept through it, in the air conditioning hum.

The Food Not Bombs kids made a run. I saw stuff from Wild Oats. I helped myself to a can of artichoke hearts and a bag of pretzel logs.

But there were 2 big egg boxes, full of canned goods. I have NO idea where those came from, as they contained pork & beans.

We're supposed to be vegetarian, whenever possible.

I filed away the canned goods, refrigerated a dozen jars of tofu mayo & as many jars of mandarin oranges, and threw out the boxes.

They were very good about it: they set down the food, relatched the gate and even reattached the bungie cord to my makeshift gate across the drive.

I think it's Nola and Frank, who planned to be out of town this weekend, but promised to make a food run, anyway.

I have stuff to say about my recent experiences. I'm just about ready. I need a few more hours to process through it all, so I won't make any big mistakes.

I've earned that fifty dollars, and am ready to start earning fifty more.

As soon as Laura has the game ready, I'll put a link in here, so you can see it.

See, there ARE benefits to having such a bad memory: I can play that game, even 'tho I wrote the hints, 'cuz I'll NEVER remember clues to hundreds of words!

It'll be just like seeing them for the first time! LOL

No comments: