Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Oh, what a WONDERFUL evening!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

The media forum, with the FCC guy (go to KUNMfm for details; I'm terrible with names!) was FANTASTIC!

Susan Braine, from Native America Calling, was a highlight. She gently pointed out that only thirty five stations in the country are Native owned, operated. Then, she just as gently pointed out that the air belongs to the Natives, and they COULD make a federal case out of it! LOL I was SO PROUD of her for saying that!

I'd been thinking along those same lines: the Chief Seattle speech, revisited.

Lt. Governor Diane Denish emphasized programming for children. REAL programming for children. I met her outside later, shook her hand, congratulated her and told her about my work with kids in the War Zone & about volunteering at KUNM. She turned me on to a kids' media activist!

The panelists were all just great.

But the BEST was the community comments!

It was SO GRATIFYING to hear my community shares my concerns about corporate take over of OUR air waves!

It was AWESOME! I mean, it was an old fashioned tent revival, without all the Jesus stuff! I was PROUD to be part of Albuquerque!

The whole thing was broadcast live on KUNM, but there's also an audio archive, which FCC man is taking back to Wash., DC.

I'm very proud of my fellow citizens tonight!

Yes, I got up and spoke. Don't ask me what I said; it's all a blank. But I got thank yous, congratulations, smiles, etc., so I must not have done too badly.

Something about underrepresentation of low income women.

It was such a nurturing, energizing, powerful experience!

Way to go, Albuquerque! Way to go, KUNM! Way to GO!

Throw the bums out and let's take our media back!

No comments: