Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, June 11, 2004

Sewing

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I have a pale, soft denim "prarie" type skirt.

I've worn it to death. t has grease stains, from the moped, on the bottom hem.

It has tears and holes.

Well, I found some lace curtains in the trash the other day. Just valances, really.

I also found a t-shirt. It's white, with lace appliques, pearl beads, and satin roses.

I removed all of those from the shirt.

I'm sewing up the larger holes.

I'm sewing antique, hand-tatted lace around the bottom hem.

The smaller holes will be cut-outs, with lace appliques over them.

The satin roses will be sprinkled on a triangular-shaped bit of lace and ribbon, on the bottom hem.

It will take a long time to finish this.

But it should be very nice, when I'm done.

I've wanted to fix that skirt up for a long time.

When I found the lace curtains and shirt, I knew I had my answer.

I'll miss wearing the skirt, as I work.

It'll take so much time, because so much of it is hand work. I can only do so much on my machine.

It won't be fashionable, of course. That sort of home spun, country look isn't popular these days.

But it makes me happy to do it.

No comments: