Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

is it morning again, already?

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Well, the coffee's hot and fresh, anyway. blink.

I'm so happy about the refrigerator! We're putting together a very nice system, very quickly.

I found good resources at the FNB website, linked to this blog.

The alley outside is a perfect loading zone, too. It's infrequently traveled. We can generally load or unload a vehicle before someone else comes by.

I've got my ducks in a row.

If I can avoid the temptation to over extend myself, I should have a pretty nice routine of broacasting and doing Food Not Bombs.

'course, last night, I signed up for the local media literacy campaign newsletter.


And I went to the concerned journalists' web site, too. I think it's Journalism.org.

I've got to be careful to balance my commitments. I don't want to confuse myself. And I don't want to commit to something and then forget the commitment. That's a form of minisuicide.

I could sleep all day. mumble.

But, my plans for world domination won't wait. So, I'd better get my rump in gear.

I cooked the leftover pizzas we got from Wild Oats. I'll take some of that for lunch today.

I just checked my bank balance. The rent check hasn't cleared yet, but when it does, I'll STILL have money in the bank!

And that's with purchases of cat food, charcoal, coffee, scooter tubes & tires, pads, asprin.....everything I need.

Usually, there's at least ONE necessary purchase per month I have to live without or borrow money for.

But, right now, I have EVERYTHING I need, AND some extra money, besides.

Oh, except laundry soap. I keep forgetting to get some. And a vacuum cleaner belt. Dang memory!

I'm checking my bank acc't. every day, twice a day. Whenever there is lots of activity, there's usually a screw up on their end. So I'm watching it like a hawk, so they can't pretend I'm overdrawn and try to slap on a fee.

If I did underestimate my budget this month, which is highly unlikely, I still have the option of direct deposit advancing myself more money. But, at ten per cent interest, I'd rather not.

Looks like I'll make my goal of getting the hell out of that bank by the time their website is no longer compatible with WebTV in August.

I'm pretty good at keeping my goals. A lot of people say, "I'm going to..." but nothing really happens or changes.

Generally, when I say I'm going to... it happens relatively quickly.

That A.I.R. site has great tutorials on broadcasting! I can educate myself there. I don't need a damn Bachelors' Degree!

I have a "new" email from that nasty, cold blooded Vocational Rehabilitation councellor, but didn't open it yesterday. It came last Friday, but I didn't want to open it at home, alone, tired. I literally dread hearing from her.

Her last email implied that my lack of transportation was a personal character flaw, not a systemic problem for low income & disabled people!

I've also been thinking about that "psych" evaluation. They use the DMS IIII as their standard.

I was watching "In The Life" the other night on PBS. It was a history of queerness being described and "treated" as a mental disorder in the USA. And elsewhere: did you know? Queerness wasn't stigmatized in Muslim and Hindu countries, like it is now, until the influence of European medical models? Queers, while perhaps not enjoying complete social equality, weren't ostricized, killed or tortured in most such places before European psychiatry invaded!

I REMEMBER when the American Psychiatric Association changed its policies on Queerness. I rememember the Queer underground press had such headlines as, "Homosexuals declare A.P.A. no longer sick."

I MET Dr. Evelyn Hooker, the researcher whose work proved Gay men weren't mentally ill! Her research changed everything! Not bad for a straight gal, named Hooker, huh?

And the Kinsey Report not only changed attitudes; it opened the door to allow for bisexuals. It's still a struggle; bis are still stigmatized, in both Queer and breeder communities. But it's a WORLD of difference, to me! I no longer have to apologize, justify, educate, back story. If people can't handle my orientation, it now speaks to THEIR limitations, and not to MINE!

Anyway, why would I want to be "diagnosed" by an institution that has used its prejudice and influence to literally torture thousands of Queer people? Electroshock "therapy," castration, hystorectomies, lobotomies, insulin shock "therapy," etc.

I'm a survivor of genital mutilation, psychological and physical abuse. Why would I want those freaks to "diagnose" my mind and appropriate my body?

Nope, I'm not a bit comfortable about dealing with Voc. Rehab. under current circumstances. They're more gatekeepers of what oppresses me, than a venue for me to overcome oppression. Their "help" could literally kill me!

And the less I attract the attention of such institutions, the less likely they can hurt me.

I don't expect any support for this decision. People at the station tend to revere the University institution and think its carrots and sticks vital to their existance.

But it seems to me I can work around it. Won't be easy, of course, in these days of processed people in data bases. Even Native America Calling requires Bachelors' Degrees to work there.

I know these aren't the days of Edward R. Murrow, whose academic resume was a fake and never questioned by news agencies for which he worked.

He could get away with it; I'm not sure I can.

But I have, so far.

So, I'll take my chances as an Independent Producer, at least, for now.

It's hard enough, learning broadcasting in a digital age. The stress of classes and running around with books would kill me. Just APPLYING to a school will be daunting!

If I DO get a degree, it would be better to do it when I'm a bit more affluent. A car would be nice, for instance. Or, at least, a more reliable scooter....

I love my little scooter, but it is delicate. And I do work it to death. It's a toy, for cryin' out loud!

Well, I guess I'm awake.

Da should be hear in just about 2 hours.

I need to eat. I have trash to throw out.

And I certainly don't need to rush around and make myself tired.

So, it's time for me to drift into my day.

btw: one of the guys from Kentucky, who drank from that last Strega bottle, emailed me last night. It was a nice surprise.

I'll try to remember to post about Taylor here. He's been a very loving and supportive friend, when others thought I was out of my mind.

No comments: