Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, June 07, 2004

I pulled something

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Above my hip, in my back. I think it was when I picked up a very heavy case of tomatoes, and set them up on the table to sort. Ouch.

I'm going to refrigerate as much tomatoe sauce as I possibly can this morning.

It SHOULD be ok for the day, until the refrigerator comes tonight, at room temp. But it's been very hot out, and I don't want to take any chances. I have some large yogert containers I can put it in.

Aside from that, and a shower, I'm not working this morning. The compost will have to wait 'til this evening. So will the remaining dishes.

I have a news story to work on today. And I'm already so tired, it's tempting to stay home and rest.

I slept 14 hours.

It's hard work. Believe me. But people get to eat. We save hundreds of pounds of food from the dumpsters. And I get free food.

I was thinking, last night, as I sorter through the four, remaining cases of food: this isn't all that got thrown out yesterday. And it's only from one day; people throw out food every day.

It made me a little sick, to think of it.

I know we're just a drop in the bucket, but we are doing useful work.

And the fact that our government neglects the needs of the most vulnerable of our citizens, while pissing away billions on the military corporate complex is not lost on me.

Yesterday, I saw a commercial with patriotic music, an american flag, and photos of military kids. Most were very young; most were obviously working class; many were people of color. It finished with the words, "thank you" and the corporate logo: Boeng.

Made me sick.

Thank you for suffering and dying, to keep us rich.

Made me sick.

If we keep this up, soon, the ONLY jobs left here will be prison guards, walmart greeters and soldiers!

Made me sick.

So, my little pots of tomato sauce are my contribution to the war effort. The less I contribute to corporate corruption, the better.

The farther off the grid, the better.

The less I invest in Round Up and GMOs by not buying agribusiness food, the better.

For me, Food Not Bombs is a rational solution. It's also fundamentally necessary. I'm always surprised others don't understand that. I'm always shocked when I see a receipt for a fast food meal. What waste!

So, I'm heading out to clean yogurt containers and preserve the two cases of produce I processed into gourmet tomato sauce.

Makes me healthy!

No comments: